If you know me, you’ll know I adore a sushi bowl. Well, sushi – but the last time I attempted to make that myself was a disaster, so deconstructed sushi at home it is.. throw in some vegan duck to the sushi bowl and I am a very happy bunny indeed.
The base of any sushi bowl is rice and while I always make my rice, (and everything else) from scratch, there just isn’t enough time in the day. If you’re after a quick lunch, the veetee sticky rice is only half a syn per portion, making it a great option for staying on plan when you’re short on time. Now personally, I don’t find one portion of this filling enough, so have been known to eat both halves of the pack – especially at dinner time. Annoyingly, this is then a bit too much rice for me! 🙄
Having just one portion and padding out the meal with lots of speed and protein makes it a lot more filling though, and perfect for a quick lunch when you don’t have the time to make rice from scratch. I like to keep a pack or two in the cupboard for these moments.
I make so many variations of a sushi bowl this, but the other week I spotted the new Eat Planted range in Tesco and I cannot tell you how excited I was! Previously only available on Ocado and Planet Organic.. two places I never shop (of course).. It’s now available to the masses and I for one am over the moon about it! I tried the Planted Hoisin Duck for the first time and loved it. While it isn’t cheap (which fake meat is though?) it’s only 1 syn for the entire 160g pack. What I love most about this brand is that it’s high in protein and all of the ingredients are things you can understand. Translation.. it isn’t full of shit. It’s a win-win!Jump to Recipe
Side note – their lemon and herb ‘chicken’ is also delicious, but I decided against that for the time being as it’s around 4 syns a pack.
Another alternative is the Linda McCartney’s Vegan Shredded Hoisin Duck; about the same syn wise, but the texture is different so it depends on your preference. I like both, so for me it just depends on what’s on offer and available in the supermarket.
Vegan Duck Sushi Bowl Recipe
Vegan Duck Sushi Bowl
- 1 portion veetee sticky rice 0.5 syn
- 1 pack planted hoisin duck 1 syn
- 1/4 cucumber, sliced
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce 1.5 syn
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 large handful spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp gochugaru (chilli flakes)
- Wash, chop and prep all your salad ingredients
- Cook the vegan duck with frylight
- Stir fry the garlic on a low heat and add the washed spinach
- Sprinkle with gochugaru (chilli flakes) until wilted
- Microwave the veetee rice according to packet instructions
- Assemble into a bowl. Add a drizzle of light soya sauce to the rice
- Add the hoisin sauce over the vegan duck
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or chilli flakes to taste (optional)
Find more recipes below: